Thursday, July 10, 2008

Thank xxxx it’s Thursday!


Did I mention that the working week here is Sunday-Thursday? It has caused me much confusion especially as all diaries in the world seem to run Mon- Sunday! The benefit is that as of today, it’s the weekend!! I’ve been in such a work frenzy that I’ve barely had time to breathe never mind blog.

Anyway, some key milestones have been reached this week. My apartment now contains:
A bed
A sofa
A tv bench
A coffee table
A side table
Pots, pans, crockery dull dull dull

This may not seem like much to you, dear reader, but believe me, coming home to an empty apartment at 9 pm each night after working like wild dog was depressing, to say the least. I am now entering my second month of no tv since I left the UK….it’s a challenge but strangely liberating at the same time. It’s not the progammes I miss so much as the relaxing effect on my brain of bubblegum tv. That’s a lie, I miss the news. Although I did make the mistake of reading a UK newspaper last week – what doom!

Sorting out all of the above whilst working each day, and not knowing my way around Dubai, at all, has been an interesting experience. Also, we have managed to lose the car twice this week in a variety of car parks. Again, this might not seem like a big problem, but when it’s 45 degrees, the humidity has kicked in, it’s 11 pm at night, and you haven’t eaten since breakfast, it’s enough to make you lie on the floor in a heap. Which I did! Ok, I didn’t so much lie down as sit on a kerb, but you get the picture.

No comments: