Thursday, September 02, 2010

Hello, Good Morning

If you know me, you’ll know I’m a pretty cheerful person. I’m generally in a good mood, and I treat people as I like to be treated – nicely. In the UK I’d always say hello to the postman and have a chat with the owner of the nearby newsagent. So I’ve obviously brought this attitude with me to Dubai, but now I’m wondering if it needs to change. Because Dubai is so full of people hanging around generally waiting to help you, or with unidentifiable jobs, it now takes me about ten minutes longer to exit the house and get to work. This morning is a prime example, I said hello to:
  • The man outside my apartment doing something with the wiring
  • The man in the lobby swiffing (no, really) the floor
  • The concierge (who also opens the door for me and tells me to have a nice day)
  • The security guard outside my building (not sure what he’s securing)
  • The taxi driver (who I also have a little chat with about Ramadan, his day and how it’s going so far)
  • The man cleaning the doors to the elevators in my office building
Once in the office there are of course numerous work colleagues, the office boys, and a couple of randoms who I’ve never seen before but say hello to all the same. I’m exhausted!

I’m joking, of course, about ignoring them all. I could try, but I just couldn’t do it. Especially when I’m sure that so many people in Dubai do ignore people, or worse still, are just plain rude. In the words of the Wagamama’s delivery man last night: “Kelly, I always look forward to seeing you as you are always so happy. A lot of my customers are not.” Bless him. A smile costs nothing, people! (PS I don't order Waga's delivery that often. Honest)

No comments: