Sunday, November 27, 2011

Seeing the World...


Striking a Palestinian Pose..
I’m back from the most amazing, inspiring and thought-provoking trip to Palestine.  I can’t believe how lucky I am to have experienced it.  This got me casting my mind back over all the amazing trips I’ve had in the last three and a half years.  Some come to Dubai for a job, a tax free salary, the sunshine (hello!) but for me one of the biggest reasons was: to see the world.  And I think it’s safe to say I’ve certainly seen a lot of it whilst I’ve been here.  Drum roll:

  • Sri Lanka
  • India (twice) Kochin, Kerala, Allepey
  • Africa – Nairobi and Kenya
  • Jordan – Amman (twice) and Petra
  • Nepal
  • Singapore
  • Bali
  • Syria – Damascus
  • Lebanon – Beirut (twice)
  • Qatar (too many times)
  • Oman (many many times)
  • Egypt - Cairo and Sharm El Sheikh
  • Palestine
  • Canada
  • USA
  • Amsterdam (twice)
  • Paris
  • Barcelona
Of course I’ve spent lots of time in the other Emirates too: Al Ain, Fujeirah, Ras Al Khaimah, Abu Dhabi (way too much time here).

Due to the UAE labour laws which state that you can’t take any holiday in your first year of a job (no, really) I’ve packed a lot of this into a relatively short amount of time.  We’re blessed with a number of long bank holidays here so much of the travel has been squeezed into these.  There are so many reasons why I love living in Dubai and this list is the result of one of them.  The next trip?   I’ll have to consult the world map in the lounge and come back to you!

No comments: