Monday, August 15, 2011

Why I Love Ramadan: Re-Connecting with Old Friends

How good friends make you feel...
I had the pleasure of dinner with a much loved friend last night.  We used to work together and I don't see her nearly as much as I would like to or should.  She's one of these people that you're lucky to meet: you share an instant connection that sparks up as soon as you get back together, however long you leave between catch ups.  Despite different backgrounds, upbringings and life paths so far, we just click.  This girl is basically my twin sister, if my twin sister was a gorgeous Iraqi-American, with long dark tumbling hair.  Just like me she's funny (obv), smart (obv), successful (obv) and utterly charming (double obv).

And, just like me, she's very hard on herself, in terms of personal and professional life.  She pushes herself harder and longer, is plagued by a work ethic that sees her losing sleep, losing patience, losing her marbles....

What is it with women these days? Why can't we relax and appreciate that no, we're not perfect, but we are pretty wonderful most of the time?  Is this a female thing?  I don't have the answers, I'm just throwing it out there.

Anyway once we'd got past the initial frenzy of downloading about the pressures and stresses of work, we got down to the really important stuff: boys, fashion and make-up.  As we emerged from the restaurant into the thronging mall (malls are packed in the evenings during Ramadan) we vowed to see more of one another.  Ramadan allowed us the space to catch up (we both finished work early) but in future, we'll make the time...


No comments: