Sunday, September 07, 2008

Not only hot, but wet

There was a day last week, when I emerged from a client’s office in Abu Dhabi to a pleasant surprise – it wasn’t that hot! By ‘wasn’t that hot’ I mean it was about 38 degrees, and a very dry heat. This put me in ever such a good mood. Images of evenings spent sat outside, days at the beach (without drowning in sweat) and general outdoor fun felt just within reach. In typical ‘new to Dubai’ mode, friends and I started saying knowledgably: “We’re through the worst now, don’t know what all the fuss was about, etc etc.”

How wrong we were.

Not only has the temperature since rocketed back up to the mid-40’s, the humidity has now gone sky high. I mean 60% in the middle of the day. Not only does it make for a very sticky existence if you have to leave the house /office (I was drenched after 5 mins hanging the washing out on the balcony) but it also has a very detrimental effect on my barnet.
Remember the episode of Friends where they go to Barbados and Monica’s hair becomes so enormous it is visible from the moon….? Yes, that’s me. Hmmm mmmm I look good!

No comments: