Thursday, January 15, 2009

Eat, Drink, and be Merry

Had a delightful evening out last week. Took a trip to Gary Rhode’s gaff – or should I say: “top-notch eaterie”. Now, I’ve always thought Gary was a bit of a tit. And frankly, his performances and appearance on Strictly Come Dancing last year only cemented that fact for me.

But, the boy can certainly cook!

His restaurant is inside the Grosvenor House Hotel, a very nice hotel down in the marina. It’s home to Buddha Bar which is – so I’m told – a great bar.Dubai’s finest certainly frequent it at the weekends – thus far I haven’t managed to get there.

Anyway, the hotel is divine anyway – a bit dodgy looking from the outside but inside it oozes sophistication and refinement. Gary’s place: Mezzanine, is an absolute feast for the eyes. A bit like what I imagine Alice in Wonderland’s house to look like, if Alice lived in a grown up, French style boudoir type place. It’s nearly all white, with glittering chandeliers and splashes of colour in the form of the chairs and ornaments. The staff all wear white suits. James Bond meets French maid. It is very hard to describe so please don’t let that put you off.

Anyway – back to the main deal: the food. It was AMAZING! You can order a la carte or have a selection of smaller dishes as part of their taster menu. In between your food arriving the staff keep appearing at your elbow with amuse bouches ‘with compliments from the chef. This meant that I ate pretty much my own body weight in food, and by the time the jam roly poly came (with two huge jugs of custard and hot jam!) I was fit to burst. I still managed to polish off said roly poly though, natch.

I’ve always felt lucky that despite my love of the finer things in life, I’m as happy with a picnic in a park as I am in expensive restaurants. But it has to be said, there’s something very decadent about getting your glad-rags on and really treating yourself. Just don’t ask me what the bill came to…..

No comments: