Sunday, February 08, 2009

Woman in....Pieces

I did something on Friday night that has been sorely lacking in my Dubai life: I went to the theatre. I was lucky enough to live within spitting distance of the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester, and as a season ticket holder this meant I made a point of attending each and every play that arrived – which was interesting as it meant that I often went to see performances that I might not have chosen myself. It was a real treat each month and I always looked forward to it.

Dubai is a culturally barren place on many levels, and there is only one theatre that I’m aware of, at the Madinat Jumierah, an odd combination of hotels, restaurants and shops, all designed to look old, despite being about 3 years old. A friend had suggested going to see a thriller: The Woman in Black. I won’t ruin the plot for you: suffice to say, it was absolutely terrifying. I was on the edge of my seat throughout, which is testimony to the quality of the performance. I completely forgot that I was watching a play not a film!

Anyway it reminded me how much I love the theatre, and it would be so nice to go again. Sadly, their next performance is Annie. Not my cup of tea at all. Although I did see an advert for open auditions and think of my dear board treading friend Jayne Leggatt. Jayne, if you fancy some sunshine, there’s bound to be a part for you out here!

No comments: