Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Parent Trap

The parentals have just jetted off to Spain for a couple of weeks, which means I won’t hear from them for a bit. This has caused my dad some consternation, as he’s a whizz on the texts and likes to ‘chat’ with me every day on them, bless him. (Should I be concerned that the man who texts me most often is my dad? Anyway…)


The texts are usually the minutiae of life, the kind that are the glue that keeps you up-to-date and involved in someone’s life - I’m sure you know the sort: "the weather’s grim today/I’m just on the patio with mum/mum says her email isn’t working/no I haven’t fixed the dvd player yet."  But yesterday out of the blue my dad sent: "Your mum and I are so so proud of you. We love you very much xxx."

I’m not ashamed to say it brought a tear to my eye and I had to drop the celebrity gossip magazine that I was reading onto the sun-lounger. Thankfully I was wearing a de rigueur pair of over-sized sunglasses so people didn’t stop and stare…

In one quick moment I changed from grown-up, capable, Group Account Director Kelly, to five year old Kelly who sat with her dad and made collages at the weekend. (Keep that to yourself, eh?) Simpler times. Parents: don’t you just love them?!

No comments: