Sunday, April 18, 2010

Girl's World


I’m a big believer in random acts of kindness and what you think about you bring about. Don’t worry, this doesn’t mean that I skip about the streets grinning inanely at people like a window-licker, more that I try to treat people how I’d like to be treated. Nicely.


So when I saw a plea on an online forum from a woman who desperately needed a babysitter, I decided to take the bull by the horns and do something nice. And how well it turned out. The woman in question literally lives a 4 minute walk from my front door, and is a top, top girl. One of us and would be a great addition to the team.

Her little girl is a complete dream (little girls rock) and after a mini introduction over wine (my kind of woman) I spent an evening with her daughter last Thursday. Those who know me know that the urge to reproduce has in no way made its way into my psyche, but that doesn’t mean that we didn’t have an extremely entertaining evening.

After watching a Christmas movie which featured talking dogs (always a winner) we moved onto plasticine modelling (I had to make things on demand, including: a mouse, a sofa, a flip flop and a house) and possibly my least favourite part: I was a hairdresser’s model. Bizarrely this took me right back to being a small child myself as this was one of my favourite games to play with my grandma when she baby sat me. Along with liberal application of make up – poor woman. She used to leave our house looking like an extra from an episode of Dynasty.

It was all worth it when at the end, Molly turned to me and said: “You’ve got such beautiful eyes. And you’re so pretty.” At this point I was crazed with tiredness and looked far from either beautiful, or pretty, but it was very sweet of her to say so. Next time we may leave the house, if only so that I can escape the hair brushes and accessories!

No comments: