Thursday, April 01, 2010

They Don't Make Them Like They Used To...

I've been updating the ipod these last few weeks.  I really don't know why I left it so long.  The thought of going to the gym without music is about as appealing as getting into a Dubai taxi without a seatbelt, and I've been getting bored of my music of late.

I often joke that if I was ever to get hit by a bus whilst wearing said ipod, I'd be panicked about people discovering my dodgy taste in music - it's extremely ecletic to say the least.  In order of favourites we have: hip-hop, house music, soul, and pop.  I'll happily lurch from the Beastie Boys to J-Lo to the Supremes an d back again.

And here's the thing I realised as I was merrily downloading tunes onto the pod.  Hardly any of it is new.  It's usually pretty old.  And I don't mean old enough to be 'classic' like Motown or Elvis.  I mean 16 years old.

The large proportion of my downloads this evening have been old house from 1994...Cream anthems, club classic from my mis-spent youth.

My current favourites:

Ten City - That's the Way Love is
Clivilles and Cole - A Deeper Love
Pizzaman - Sex on The Streets
Shiva - Work It Out

I'm sure a psychologist would have a field day with this - something to do with regression to the comfort of my past.  Which, I concede, is partly true. This is music that I was living and breathing and dancing to in Sheffield when I was at university - away from home at the age of 18 for the first time and having the time of my life.  All the while adjusting to being far away from home, embracing the freedom that gave me, whilst also testing myself and the boundaries of what I could get away with.

But all that aside, the music was just WAY better back then!! Don't deny it kids.  Fellow Sheffield/Manchster clubbing posse, are you with me?

No comments: