Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Counting Our Blessings

I'm not sure Rani is this happy,but who knows?!
There's a few luxuries that you adapt to very quickly in Dubai - in the last 3 years I have never painted my own nails or ironed a single item of clothing or bedding.  These treats (and they most certainly are treats to me) are so cost-effective compared to the UK that I embraced them wholeheartedly. 

Ironing was always my most loathed chore back home, and here I have a lovely young man (Mohan) who collects my freshly laundered clothes (he would wash them if I asked him to but I see that as a step too far) and returns them, sometimes within 24 hours, crisply ironed, hung and looking beautiful.  If I tried for the rest of my life, I could never get my super-king bedsheets to look so perfect.  My biggest headache is coordinating his deliveries with my hectic work and social schedule, and remembering exactly which items of clothing he actually has.  And as we observed last week: "He's been the most constant man in our lives during the last 3 years!"  Mohan, don't ever leave us.

I've tried various cleaners (I just can't bring myself to call them maids) in the last three years, with limited success.  Some did a terrible job (why wouldn't you clean the mirrors or shower screen?) some didn't turn up, some threw away expensive cosmetics and then turned up on the doorstep crying after we complained about this (not my story.)  A couple of months ago, I decided that I could no longer tackle the hair and dust on my own, and agreed to a cleaner, recommended by the boy.  She happily agreed to clean for all three of us - since we're in the same building, it makes perfect sense.

We got off to a rocky start, with a few breakages and a strange incident with a toothpaste tube (don't ask), but two months in, and I honestly don't know how I ever lived without her.  Such is our group love for her that we all compete to be her favourite (it's so obviously me, I got her a Valentine's Day gift). 

Last night, after a 14 hour day, I fell through the front door, as is my usual style, kicked off my shoes, and threw my handbag onto the (gleaming) work surface.  As I lit candles and lamps (no need for bright lighting after the day I'd had) I sighed with pleasure as my perfectly mopped and polished floors gleamed up at me.  She'd even dead-headed my lilies.  After a cursory shower, I slipped between the (perfectly pressed and changed) sheets with a happy squeak.  Tuesdays have never been so good.  Rani, please don't ever leave us!

No comments: