Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Famous Faces

Me, at work (ho ho)
Interesting people I have met today:

Kate Adie - my childhood heroine when I was deciding on a career in journalism. Don't laugh: war reporter was actually on my list of potential jobs when I was 16 - and to be fair, I do  feel as if I am going into battle on a daily basis!  Katie is a living legend, and a thoroughly good egg to boot.  I particularly enjoyed her dishing out disparaging bollockings to errant journalists who did not conduct themselves appropriately in her presence.

Tony Parsons - Man and Boy remains one of the most poignant books I've ever read (BB, I know you're with me on this one) so it was a treat to spend some time with him.  Thoroughly lovely man.

Charlie Boorman - Television adventurer and motorbike rider. A fabulous bundle of positivity and genuinely delighted to be in Dubai.

Marguerite Van Geldermalsen - Wrote the most fabulous 'Married to a Bedouin' book which I have passed to literally everyone I know. I somehow resisted the urge to beg her to write another book.

Michael Morpugo - Children's Laureate - the joy that was all over the face of Natalie (aged 7 ) when she finally met him after waiting patiently for hours with me outside an interview room: priceless.

Expect more updates as they happen over the next few days.  Considering the high regard in which I hold many of these people, I think I am holding it together pretty well...

2 comments:

Mrs Dubai said...

You lucky lucky lucky thing. What I wouldn't give to have your job just for this week :)

Britney of Arabia said...

If only the other 51 weeks of the year could be so pleasurable!