Sunday, February 28, 2010

Hot Rod!

One of the things I've missed whilst living in Dubai is music; and more specifically, concerts. I may have mentioned this before, but living in Manchester (and a stone's throw from the Manchester Evening News Arena) meant easy access to the many, many acts who came to that fair city.  And of course, there are a myriad of other concert locations in dear old Manc, ideal for gritty hip-hop acts, which are my first love.

Don't get me wrong, since I've been to Dubai I've had the pleasure of seeing: George Michael (amazing), The Backstreet Boys (brilliant, despite me being far, far too old to go to see them), and the Happy Mondays (brilliant and hilarious in equal measure).  But it's not the same as the UK, and there definitely isn't enough choice (or hip-hop, but that's my personal opinion getting in the way.)

Imagine my excitement then when none other than the legend that is ROD STEWART announced a Dubai date!  Not only that, but he's supported by Spandeau Ballet!  Yes, I do have eclectic music tastes, dear reader.  My parents brought me up on a diet of Motown and, well, Rod, so I'm all over this.  I actually flew my parents over to Manchester from Jersey to see Rod a few years ago, and he was on top form.  I may well have been the youngest person in the audience at the time (makes a change!).  The concert is at the purpose-built Rugby 7's stadium out in the desert and a 20 minute drive away.  The one small issue is the date...May 7th.  The weather will be truly scorchio by that stage so it's going to be a sweaty night....

No comments: