Monday, February 15, 2010

Mad Men

Ok, I'll admit it. I do have a tendency to get around to watching certain tv shows a little late....err hello Entourage (Sian and Phil had been telling me for ages to watch it) and The Wire (the entire western world watched this before me, I think).

My latest nightly fix after work, wine or bootcamp is Mad Men.  Again, I'd been meaning to watch it for ages but hadn't got round to it.  If you're not familiar with it, it's pretty simple: an advertising agency in 1960's New York.

Whilst the premise is simple it's utterly compelling and fascinating to watch, moreso, I'm sure, because I work in a creative agency myself and have done for years.  It's very male-orientated (the women, with one exception, exist only as typists or opportunities for the men to cheat on their wives) and everyone drinks, and smokes, a lot, in the office.  Like I said, fascinating.

In addition it's highly stylised, the men, and women, look stunning, day in, day out.  This was the decade where women were women (think Marilyn Monroe) and the men dressed like men - you were no-one if you didn't wear a hat. 

I'm about to start on season 3 and I can't wait.  I'm not ashamed to say it's not only made me think about my professional life, but also my personal one - I don't think it's a coincidence that I've been rocking out some pencil skirts+heels in the office and even running the straighteners through my hair first thing in the morning!  The sooner I watch the rest of it the better, this could start getting exhausting...

1 comment:

Michael Taylor said...

There are strange parallels with Communique, I'm sure